EdApp's Ratio template is the perfect way to create comparisons in learning.
Key Takeaway: Not just used for percentages, Ratio can be used to create comparisons between the weight and price of products. A step-by-step guide to customizing the Ratio template.
The EdApp template Ratio has a variety of applications. The great thing about EdApp is that each of our templates can be customized for a variety of functions.
Ratio, not only asks your users to identify ratios and percentages, but can also be utilized in your mobile learning to create monetary, volume or weight comparisons for your users.
In this article we will go through applying a Ratio template to a lesson step-by-step from within the authoring tool. The Nike example we are using demonstrates the flexibility of the template, illustrating how Ratio can be especially useful for Sales staff when a customer wishes to compare products based on price.
Set the title or question you would like answered in the Title field.
Under the Bars tab you can set the item names for each of your bars and their correct value. Here we have named each bar with three models of Nike Women’s shoes. In this example use-case, the value will be the price of each product.
The Total Value of all Bars is the total value you would like the amount to be set at or alternatively where you can set the length of each bar. Users indicate their answer by sliding the bar to a ratio of this value, therefore the Total Value of All Bars must be equal or greater than that of the highest value.
For Nike, we have set the Total Value of all Bars to the price of the most expensive product. That way, users can see products in a comparative view and visually compare and relate each price/product to answer the question.
Typically the value identifier for each bar is a percentage. However as you can see here, you can customize the template to your individual need. Simply add a prefix (such as currency) or a suffix (for weight, length etc.)
4. Additional Features
Additional features are available on the Ratio enabling you to further customize this template if required.
Allow bars to move freely – By default, the bars move in relation to each other. For example, if one bar is set to 20% then the other two will accommodate to equal a sum of 80%. You can Allow bars to move freely if you wish users to answer each independently as seen in this Nike example.
Increment – Here you can set the increment value you wish numbers to increase/decrease by when a user slides their finger up and down the bar. If your answers are approximate values or rounded up to every 10, an increment of 10 would decrease variables and chance for incorrect answers.
Prompt – Set your own instructions to your users or use the default Ed has provided you
Finally, identify the correct answers here. The Answer Text will pop up when your user has completed the slide. If you feel further explanation is required a ‘Core Message’ can be delivered here too.