This article will guide Admin users step-by-step on how to configure SSO using Okta
Single Sign On (SSO) is a great way to further simplify the EdApp login process for your learners. SSO is a process where learners can sign in to EdApp using the credentials that are used to access their own organization's portals so that there’s no need for the learner to keep track of separate credentials for their EdApp accounts.
Configuring SSO for your EdApp training program using Okta is straightforward, and can be done in as little as 15 minutes.
If you’d like domain recognition enabled for SSO, please reach out to us via live chat or your EdApp program manager - we would be happy to help.
Configure SSO in Okta
First, let’s start with setting up SSO in Okta (we’ll move on to set this up in EdApp once this part is completed).
Step 1: Sign in to the Okta Admin portal using your administrator account. Browse to Applications --> Applications in the left-hand menu and click Create App Integration.
- Select SAML 2.0 and click Next
- Fill in EdApp in the App name field
- Upload the EdApp icon. This can be found here: EdApp icon
- Select Next.
- Fill in Single sign on URL with https://api.edapp.com/sso-saml-callback/<yourcompany> where <yourcompany> is an easy to remember identifier related to your company. Your learners will use this to to login.
- Populate Audience URI (SP Entity ID) with https://admin.edapp.com
- Choose EmailAddress for the Name ID format
- Choose Okta username for the Application username
- Click Download Okta Certificate
In the Attribute Statements section, additional information about a user can be sent to EdApp as a custom field, also see Setting up custom fields. To configure this, the names of the custom fields in EdApp need to match the values that you configure in this section.
The firstname and lastname fields are fields that are default fields in EdApp that can be populated without adding a custom field, the attribute has to be added though.
It is important to leave the Name format Unspecified.
Click Next to continue
- Select I'm an Okta customer adding an internal app
- Select This is an internal app that we have created
- Click Finish
Click View Setup Instructions
- Copy the Identity Provider Single Sign-On URL: We will need the below information when configuring SSO in EdApp
- Download the certificate
Make sure to give users access to the application in the Assignments tab
EdApp will now show up in the My Apps menu on Okta
Configure SSO in EdApp
Step 7: Sign in to Ed LMS using your Ed Admin account, and click on the dropdown arrow located on the upper right of your screen. Select Single Sign-On.
Choose Connect with SAML 2.0
- Tick the Enable Single Sign-On box
- Populate the Company ID with the same unique company identifier as above. E.g. samplecompany
- Populate SSO URL with the value Identity Provider Single Sign-On URL: from Step 6
- Populate the SAML Entity ID with https://admin.edapp.com
- Upload the certificate downloaded from Okta in Step 6
Congratulations! You’ve just configured your EdApp account with SSO, using Okta. At this point, we recommend completing a round of testing by attempting to log in via SSO. If you get stuck at any point along the way, be sure to reach out to our live chat desk, or your EdApp account manager - we’d be happy to lend a helping hand. Additionally, feel free to share this Learner Guide for logging into EdApp using SSO with your users.
If you’d like to learn about Dynamic User Groups, which is great for mapping via SSO.